Skip to content


A major concern of  home exchanger is  insurance and we regularly receive several letters in this direction. We hope that this small non-exhaustive guide will shed some light on the subject and reassure the most fearful.

House Insurance

When you exchange your house, we suggest  that you notify your insurance broker. Mention him the names of exchangers and exchanging dates. Insurance companies usually accept without hesitation the presence of other people in your home for the holidays : for them, it is an additional guarantee that your home will not be robbed or vandalized . If your broker refuses to assure you, change insurance company immediately !

If a disaster happens in your absence we suggest you pay the deductible. Your exchangers will pay thirs if something happens at theirhome. This is of course a risk you take , but in the case of a fire, for example , it may be caused by a faulty electrical box which you are responsible . It is preferable that the franchises be equivalent if not try to fix an equivalent amount of deductible.

For small breakage and damage, we suggest that you replace the broken equipment (or leave a cash equivalent ) and to repair the damage at your expense which you are responsible .

Warning: your insurance will not pay for a robbery in your house if you have exchanged your home unless there is evidence of tampering . In all cases , we suggest that you make a statement to the police and  establish an on-site investigation .

Call your broker and ask him if it is possible to take an extra insurance.

Car Insurance

If you exchange in the same country or a neighboring country, there is no need to exchange your car.
Choose a rental if you suspect damage to your Maserati or car collection.

Limit the number of kilometers per contract in order to prevent over-use of your vehicle. 1000 km or around 700
miles per week exchange seems reasonable. Establish a cost per additional kilometer for overtaking.

Find out if drivers under 25 will drive your car. Your broker can tell you if in this case your vehicle is insured.

And most importantly, clearly determine the deductible you pay if there is a disaster, whatever responsibility. The deductible should be roughly similar for both exchangers

And finally

We also suggest that the increase in premium costs are entirely at the expense of the vehicle owner or a fixed amount (to be determined in your written agreement) be paid by the responsible person of the disaster. It would be difficult to accurately assess the long-term costs associated with a claim.

Note that this is only a suggestion of a possible arrangement in an exchange and you can very well make a different kind of understanding between you two. The important thing is that the agreement is clear, that it satisfies the two parties and it is in writing and signed by the two exchangers.

Question about the insurance? See our contact page.

/default ads superbanner -->